Banishment • Healing • Cleansing
Four Thieves Vinegar has many variations in both its origin and its recipe.
The legend tells of a group of four thieves who were robbing the dead and the sick during a plague outbreak in Europe. The question was - how were they able to rob again and again without getting sick themselves?
Upon getting caught, the four thieves offered to exchange their secret for leniency. Their secret was Four Thieves Vinegar.
The Four Thieves Vinegar recipe was used for:
- immune boosting
- illness-banishing purposes.
The recipe was brought to New Orleans by European immigrants, although legend says it was brought over by the escaped thieves themselves. In addition to its original purpose, it become a tool in spells for:
For this recipe you will need to gather:
- a bottle or jar with lid,
- vinegar - your choice of red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar)
- peeled and crushed garlic.
There isn’t a quantity on the garlic – the more you add, the better the healing and immune-boosting properties will be.
It is typical to use at least one head of garlic, and 1 quart or approximately 950ml of vinegar
Each of the four thieves added one herb to the recipe, hence the name, so it is tradtitional to only add four of the following herbs to represent each thief.
Choose four from:
- black pepper
- whole cayenne (or other chili pepper)
You could choose the herbs based on availability, intution, or the purpose of the vinegar.
- Boil the garlic in the vinegar.
- Add the four herbs one by one, stirring in between.
- Let it cool down.
- Put the mixture in a bottle and let sit.
- Shake once daily.
- It is ready for use after four days.
Always shake before use.
IN THE HOME
Four Thieves Vinegar can be used as a cleansing agent in a spray bottle and used to clean & sterilize kitchen counters and bathrooms.
Four Thieves Vinegar can be used for spells involving:
- cleansing negativity
- repelling unwanted people
For a cleansing floorwash, add the following to a bucket of floorwash:
Floorwashes are meant to be applied to pre-cleaned floors and left to air-dry.
TO MAKE A FLOORWASH
Two easy methods:
- Make a bucket of warm water, add the above ingredients, and a little extra vinegar
- Add the above ingredients to an empty bucket, pour in boiling salted water, and a little extra white vinegar.
WAYS TO USE FOUR THIEVES VINEGAR
- Healing Wash: add FTV to a bath or soak a cloth in FTV and cleanse your body with it in upward motions.
- Marie Laveau Banishing Spell: to keep someone away from you, write the person’s name on brown paper. Soak the paper in FTV, fold and bury the paper in a pot full of Crossroads Dirt and plant a cactus on top. Keep the pot near your front door.
- Repelling Unwanted Guests: keep your enemies / unwanted guests away by dressing your doorstep with FTV.
- Banishing Unwanted People: write the name of the person 9 times on a piece of paper and put it in a small bottle. Add enough FTV to cover the paper, seal tightly. Throw the bottle into a river (traditionally you are meant to throw it over your left shoulder into running water without looking).
- Banishing Unwanted People: rub FTV on door handles and visualise the person leaving.
- Banishing Unwanted People: make a spell bag to stop someone harassing you. Sprinkle FTV over sea salt and blend. Once dry, put into a spell bag. It is traditional to carry the bag with you until you meet the person again as the spell is used on the next encounter. When you see the person next, secretly sprinkle the salt in their wake as they depart from you.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
WANT TO GO SHOPPING?
Here are some links for some of the ingredients and equipment involved in making this spell.