Journal • Knowledge • Heirloom
WHAT IS A GRIMOIRE?
Mostly the terms Book of Shadows (or Book ofLight) or Grimoire are used interchangablly.
A Grimoire and a Book of Shadows will both will contain a lot of the same information - basically all your witchcraft research, such as:
Technically, the main difference is that a Book of Shadows will also include more personal information, such as records, dreams and thoughts.
WHAT SHOULD YOU HAVE?
Basically - whichever you want!
It is really up to you to decide. There's many factors to consider, and a few options. These are some suggestions, but like everything, this is your path.
What will you call your book?
- This will probably be decided by what you want to include in your book.
- Some witches will have either a Grimoire or a Book of Shadows.
- Some witches will have both to seperate the two areas.
What do you want it to look like?
- Some prefer computer versions of their grimoire. This is great idea for a few reasons. You can freely edit and add knowledge as your learn. You can keep multiple copies - use your tablet during a spell, edit on your phone. You can add pictures you find online or take pictures of your rituals as you go.
- Some prefer a ringbound version of their grimoire. This is also handy as you can move pages around, add sections, and add pages.
- Some prefer to have multiple books for different areas of knowledge. Or a second book once the first one is full.
- Some like to have very decorative heirloom books that will be passed down through the generations.
- Do you like to decorate your pages, stick pictures in, stick flowers and herbs inside? Do you tea stain your pages?
- Do you want to bind your own book?
Is your grimoire private?
- Do you share your grimoire with others, or is it for your eyes only?
Protect your books by placing herbs between the pages. Herbs will physically protect (by stopping vermin eating the pages) and spiritually protect your books.
Use herbs such as:
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
The Modern Witchcraft Grimoire (Skye Alexander) - a great guide on creating your own grimoire
- Herbal Lore: Mugwort
- Herbal Lore: Wormwood
WANT TO GO SHOPPING?
Here are some links for some of the ingredients and equipment mentioned.