Divination • Guidance • Scrying
WHAT IS A PENDULUM?
A pendulum is a weighted object hanging from a chain or thread.
The object can be made of various materials including:
- even botanical (orrisroot or angelica root are common)
WHAT IS A PENDULUM USED FOR?
A pendulum is used for many purposes, including:
- Making contact with the spirit world
- Balancing energies
- Balancing the chakras
- Divining truth
- Finding lost items
Pendulums can be bought for specific purposes – the type of shape, or crystal can be very specific for what you need it for.
- Clear quartz: is an all-purpose crystal
- Amethyst is very good for anything related to psychic abilities
- Titanium quartz is a good choice for scrying
- A spiral shape is good for general life questions
However, a lot of people just use one that appeals to them.
HOW DOES A PENDULUM WORK?
A pendulum works for two reasons:
- Subconscious mind: it taps into your subconscious mind, reacting to small nerve reactions in your fingers that are generated by your conscious mind in response to the question asked. So, it is simply getting in touch with the part of our mind that we don’t normally communicate with well.
- Spirit guides: just like any divination tool, a pendulum is a tool for receiving guidance from spirit guides, deities, angels etc.
HOW TO ESTABLISH A CONNECTION WITH YOUR PENDULUM
To establish a connection with your new pendulum, hold the pendulum over your receptive palm. Your receptive hand is the hand which receives energy – most right-handed people would use their left hand as their receptive hand. The other hand is known as the projective hand - it sends energy).
When a pendulum responds to your energy, it will start spinning in a circle. The harder it spins, the stronger the connection.
Keep building this connection by working with your pendulum, cleansing and charging, and by keeping it in a nice pouch or on your altar.
HOW DO YOU USE A PENDULUM?
Once you establish a connection, ask the pendulum to show you “yes”, then ask it to show you “no”.
Yes: typically, a "yes" motion is usually up and down the palm along the middle finger.
No: a typical "no" motion is left to right.
USING A PENDULUM MAT
Pendulum mats are a great idea for using a pendulum. You can make your own mat on cardboard or use a material pendulum mat. Pendulum mats make pendulum readings easy as you can ask questions and easily read the answers by seeing which way the pendulum swings. They are also foldable and fit into a travel altar nicely.
FINDING LOST ITEMS
I have had a lot of success with my pendulum for finding lost items. After establishing a connection, ask your pendulum broad questions and then very specific questions to narrow down the location. For example:
- Do I still have this item?
- Is this item in my house?
- Is this item upstairs?
- Is this item in my bedroom?
- Is this item in my closet?
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Let's have some fun. Here are some spells and rituals that use a pendulum.
WANT TO GO SHOPPING?
Here are some links for some of the ingredients and equipment mentioned.