Portability • Discretion • Essentials
WHAT IS A TRAVEL ALTAR?
Every witch needs a travel altar! A travel altar allows you to create a sacred space wherever you go.
A small wooden box makes an ideal travel altar - they are small and lightweight, perfect for tucking into your bag. If you want even more lightweight, choose a large drawstring bag. Other ideas include tins, lunch boxes, and tool boxes.
You can go as large or as compact as you like! You can have multiple travel altars. Personally I have 2 travel altar boxes and a travel pouch.
Travel altars are perfect for:
- Storage: of a few small essentials - e.g. jars of herbs, resins and powders, a candle, mini tarot deck, some palo santo and some crystals (depending on thr size you buy).
- Discretion: sometimes we don't want our witchy supplies to be seen by certain people.
- Portability: even if you don't travel very far or very often, it's great to have a portable box of essentials, and a lot of people use a travel altar as a portable outside altar. Take your magic outside!
If discretion and privacy is a concern, you could use a faux book box. This is a box disguised as a book - perfect for hiding your altar inside.
WHAT'S IN MY TRAVEL ALTAR?
I do change the jars around depending on if I am planning on doing any spells or rituals while away.
I usually carry in my travel altar:
- a mini cauldron which I use for charcoal, as well as anything else that needs a fireproof container
- a few charcoal discs
- a tealight candle
- a mini lighter
- a mini Rider-Waite tarot deck
- bay leaves
- loose sage
- palo santo
- a pendulum
- various jars of herbs and resins
- various crystals
- smokey quartz seer stone
- tigers eye
- black tourmaline
- clear quartz double terminated point
WHAT ELSE COULD YOU INCLUDE?
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
- How to use resins and charcoal discs
- How to make an even smaller travel altar
- How to make an elements altar
- How to make a travel pouch
- How to make black salt
- Herbal Lore: Sage
WANT TO GO SHOPPING?
Here are some links for some of the ingredients and equipment mentioned.